Fast Facts


The naming of St. Mary's School had its roots in the establishment of an elementary day school for girls by the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1890. The day school was operated in St. Joseph's Convent.

The parish church, the Church of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary, acknowledges the reverence and devotion of the clergy and founders of this parish for Mary, the Mother of God. The feast day of February 2nd, Candlemas Day, solemnly celebrates the presentation of Jesus in the temple, and the obedience and humility both of Mary and her divine Son, who, though not subject to the law in regard to purification and presentation, subjected themselves to it.

On the feast of the purification, candles are blessed and carried in the service. When Jesus was offered in the temple at Jerusalem, He was called by Simeon 'a light for the revelation of the gentiles'. Mary offered a gift to God of a pair of doves as was the custom of the poor.

Mary, the mother of Jesus, has many Feast Days in her honour. Her birthday is celebrated in the Church Calendar on September 8th. Mary was born into a Jewish family and she lived in the town of Galilee in Nazareth. She was so open to God's action in her life that God chose her to bring Christ to the waiting world. Vatican ll Council focused on Mary's influence in our lives..

St. Mary Catholic elementary school was officially opened and blessed on Tuesday Oct. 26, 1954.  The Hon. Leslie M. Frost, Premier of Ontario: Most Rev. B. Webster, Bishop of Peterborough Diocese, RT. Rev. J. McAuley, Pastor of St. Mary's Church and the Trustees of the St. Mary's Separate School Board officiated the opening.  

St. Mary celebrated our Golden Jubilee in 2004.

Did you know that...